Re: Remove adhesive from old Tek aluminium cabinet covers

Stephen Hanselman

I never knew the name for that little bag but it was a life saver many times over. Thanks!

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC

On Dec 12, 2020, at 15:28, Jim Ford <james.ford@cox.net> wrote:

´╗┐Yes, that little bag of rubber crumbs is called a "scumbag"! Useful if you just have a little tiny bit of pencil lead or whatever to clean up.
Several decades ago in college I roomed with a civil engineering major who did a lot of drafting, and he had the full set of drafting tools.
The scumbag was one of them.

In fact, the whole large set of tools was made by Staedtler, and another guy and I pulled a prank on him. It seemed that everything he owned was made by Staedtler, so we used a laundry marker to write "Staedtler" and draw the Staedtler Roman gladiator symbol on a pair of his underwear!
He wasn't nearly as amused as we were...

Gee, you guys are bringing all of these college memories from the 1980's today! :)

Jim Ford

------ Original Message ------
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: 12/12/2020 3:17:26 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Remove adhesive from old Tek aluminium cabinet covers

I think a real art supply store rather than a hardware store or hobby shop may have real turpentine. Mineral Spirits is a sort of catch all name that is not really defined. Another good solvent is Ronsonol lighter fluid AKA naphtha but if you look up naphtha you will find its also not very well defined.
Erasers: there was a type of eraser for drafting clean up. A sort of soft bag with rubber bits in it. Works well for cleaning up smudges. I don't know how it works on the residue from labels but is pretty gentle. I don't know if they are made any more since most drafting is done by computer.

On 12/12/2020 7:55 AM, Stephen wrote:
On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 04:11 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
Turpentine doesn't seem to be readily available anymore.

What you can buy seems to be a refined version of kerosene
with something to make it smell like turps.

It sure doesn't work like turps, though.

-Chuck Harris
What I buy is real turpentine, and is readily available over here in France. But maybe not where you live.

-- Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com
WB6KBL

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.