Re: Yet another use for a curve tracer

Hi Ed,
Curve tracers are very versatile instruments and the only real limitation they have is the person at the controls.
Nearly everyone I know who owns a curve tracer thinks they are only good for checking transistors.

What you did was think outside the box, and as you said in the subject, you found another use for a curve tracer.
I hadn't thought of using it to test lamp dimmers myself so I learned something new.
But I have used it to test capacitors, inductors, transformers, pots, SCRs, TRIACs, DIACs, MOVs, OpAmps, Voltage Regulators ICs, Spectrum Tubes, light bulbs, etc.
Anything with two or three leads is fair game for a curve tracer.

Anyone who owns a curve tracer is extremely fortunate. You can learn a great deal about how electronic parts of all kinds respond when you connect them to a curve tracer.

Thanks for sharing your clever idea.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ed Breya via groups.io
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 7:52 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Yet another use for a curve tracer

The old-fashioned way would work too, but this was simplest for me to turn it on and set up. The whole thing took only a few minutes to check them all. It would take me much longer just to find a bulb socket - I know I should have one somewhere around here.

Ed

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.