From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Gardner
Sent: 07 December 2020 17:15
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] I give up.

Regrettably it isn't that simple; the banking and e-money laws are a mess and
almost all people have zero chance of understanding them and their ramifications.

Today's report is...

Some PayPal customers have found it difficult to get reimbursed when they’ve run
into problems – particularly victims of fraud.
Here, we look at how PayPal is failing to protect and reimburse victims of
fraud, and what it can do about it.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/12/how-paypal-fails-fraud-victims/
(Which? used to be far more sensibly named "Consumer Association". It is
generally respected in the UK)

On 07/12/20 14:19, cheater cheater wrote:
Yeah no, asking me if I can deny "major data thefts" happen "almost daily"
and then transferring that to whether you'll lose money on PayPal is just
high level crackpottery, and if you think this is a valid way of looking at
the world, then you should have a long hard look in the mirror. It doesn't
matter how long you've been "doing computers", obviously you're not in any
way capable of talking about computer security. Some sort of nebulous
"potential problems" with nebulous "companies involved in e-commerce" are
just paranoid thoughts, you can't even answer such a question with a yes or
no, you've constructed it to give yourself worry.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 6:16 PM - <rrrr6789@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe you haven't been reading the messages but Dennis has already been
paid and that's all taken care of. But I have to admit that I hadn't
considered a wire transfer INTO PayPal. I've never heard of that being done
and there's nothing about it on their website and I don't even know if it's
possible. I don't think that it is but perhaps.

I was talking about the potential problems of PayPal and other
companies involved in E-commerce. And you can't deny that those are real.
All you have to do is to read any newspaper or watch any TV news to know
that major data thefts are happening almost daily. And your 20 years is
nothing, that was when Windows 98 was still new. I beta tested Windows
1.1! I started programming in 1969 in APL on an IBM 1130 and had been
tinkering with computer hardware for two years before that. I was the
person that installed *the* first computers for the Gallup poll in New
Jersey (another IBM 1130 with added core memory) , Virginia Military
Institute and Washington and Lee university and a host of others back in
the mid-1970s.