Re: SUCCESS! The "sick" 475A is now the "fixed" 475A!

Jim Ford

I'd be wary of problems that go away by themselves.  They often come back by themselves as well.  Just an FYI.    Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> Date: 12/6/20 10:36 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] SUCCESS! The "sick" 475A is now the "fixed" 475A! Dave,That's quite similar to my experience with the first fault on the 475A: I had bad voltage on the +110 V rail, so I started testing components in the circuit for that rail. I found what seemed to be a shorted ceramic disc capacitor, so I unsoldered it to be certain. When I tested it out of circuit it tested fine, so I soldered it back in place. Just for giggles I powered it back on and the +110 V rail was fixed!Sometimes just taking something apart and putting it (carefully) back together does the trick. It doesn't always work, and it feels like it shouldn't, but it can.It does feel good to get something like this fixed up. Part of it is, I think, that these are such well crafted objects that it feels good to make them whole, but there's also a fair amount of pride in skill and determination.Congrats, and wishes for further success!-- Jeff Dutky