Re: Can capacitors

greenboxmaven

I agree that, regrettably, these condensers do not measure up in reliability. I worked at a sound equipment boutique and had about a 10% failure rate of these condensers within three years. They are also quite expensive, which is justified by the small production volume and labor of making them. I have two old sound amplifiers of my own that had these condensers installed before I got them, and they have all failed less than ten years after they were made. I hope the manufacturers will take these statistics seriously and improve their quality. Meanwhile, I will continue opening old ones, removing the failed windings, and replacing them with modern individual condensers.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 12/5/20 11:55, Roy Thistle wrote:
On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 07:40 AM, Tom Phillips wrote:

There is a video series on the page at www.cemfg.com < http://www.cemfg.com/ >
which shows the can cap manufacturing process using the old Mallory equipment.
It is interesting. The materials handling and process quality control are, of
course, not up to modern standards and the resulting caps are not as reliable
as the original Mallory parts. However, they have been successful with their
niche market customers.