Re: Historical Analog Scope Triggering Techniques

Tom Gardner

On 04/12/20 14:30, toby@telegraphics.com.au wrote:
On 2020-12-04 2:31 a.m., Jeff Dutky wrote:
Okay, this is all in line with what I've been thinking about: building a little box that can raise a TTL output on various conditions like a specific counter bit, or having a 16 bit input value between two selected values, or when certain bits are set or cleared, etc. It seems like this would make all kinds of things visible on a simple analog scope at relatively little cost (assuming that you don't want to do the triggering at clock rates much above a few tens of MHz, of course).
I would consider a tiny FPGA rather than discrete TTL, which would give
you thousands of gates of logic reconfigurable without soldering. You
can get a suitable dev board for ~ $20.
That can work, but there is a steep learning curve w.r.t. both the HDL and the toochain.

A logic analyser is simpler, cheaper, less to implement. Use both hammers and screwdrivers :)