Re: Tektronix 7D13 and 7A42 wanted

Dan G

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 11:08 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:

I see the usual exploded parts diagram in the manual, but I don't see
instructions anywhere for removing the PWBs. It looks as if one has to
completely remove the rear panel (-124 in the exploded view) in order to
pull the A8 board out. Is this the case, or am I missing something? Any
pointers would be appreciated.
Hi Dave,

The lower right frame panel (item 104 in the exploded parts diagram) should
have a cutout that permits access to the battery terminals from the PCB solder-side.
Most soldering iron tips that are suitable for use on Tektronix PCBs should be small
enough to fit comfortably through this opening. Given that the opening is centered
right over the battery terminals, I suspect that it was made specifically for the purpose
of enabling battery replacement without the need to disassemble the unit.
(It also makes it possible to quickly check the battery voltage.)

If your unit has this cutout, then all you need to do is remove the right
perforated panel, disconnect the two wire assemblies that run over
the battery, and gently pull out one end of the elastic retaining strap
that holds down the battery. No PCB removal should be needed at all.

dan