Re: worst condition Tektronix scope?

Raymon,

Yes, I saw your comments, and I agree with every one of them. I was making compromises for brevity (and personal bias).

Since I had linked to the TekWiki page I figured that any insufficiency in my descriptions could either be remedied by following the link, or that any truly gross mischaracterizations would be put aright by other comments (such as your own). I have no personal experience with anything but the 475/475A (and the 2213/2215A) so I was wary of writing too much about any of the scopes beyond what I got off the TekWiki pages.

It's a shame that Tek did not make a range of plugins for the 465M. It looks like it's a lot nicer to work on than the 465/475. I wonder why they didn't pursue that avenue of development. There is no mention of other plugin modules for the 455 either, but that TekWiki page appears to be almost a stub.

I'm curious about how the analog storage scopes like the 466 were used. Were you able to get a snapshot of a single wave form? Or did this just capture a persistent image of the repeating signal that we can see on a non-storage scope? I remember my father using the 475 to debug minicomputer hardware. His method involved setting the machine in a tight loop that exercised the suspect part or function, then observing the repeated signal with the scope. Now you would just use a DSO to capture a few microseconds of signal to memory and wander through it at your leisure, but such a thing would have been prohibitively expensive in 1978.

-- Jeff Dutky