Re: Multi-section electrolytic capacitors from Hayseed

Michael Wyatt

I think the caps from Hayseed Hamfest are stuffed. Check out the video from Blue Glow Electronics.
SBS ClassicTone Closing - Hayseed Hamfest - Western Electric Solder - Room Acoustics - and More

| | |

| |
SBS ClassicTone Closing - Hayseed Hamfest - Western Electric Solder - Ro...

That said I guess its a matter of if you want to do it yourself or pay some else to do it for you.
Michael

On Saturday, November 21, 2020, 4:56:40 PM EST, Thomas Garson <tgarson@auraltek.com> wrote:

Bruce,

Regarding non Hayseed capacitors: I also have had less than stellar
experience with new manufacture multi section cans. I've reverted to
stuffing old cans with new caps.

My method of "reloading" old capacitor cans is a bit different than
yours. I've become fairly adept at using a small set of side cutters to
remove only the crimp which holds the (bottom) cap in place. Sometimes I
have to heat the can a bit to get the old guts out. Usually, I can save
the solder tabs. I epoxy the two phenolic discs together to hold the
tabs in place then drill small holes next to them for the capacitor
leads (or extension wires, if needed) to come up through. Because I
leave out the flexible insulating layer, there is enough aluminum left
at the can bottom to re-curl it around the newly re-stuffed can. The
assembly is only about 3/32" shorter than the original and is otherwise
indiscernible different.

Knowing how these things are made, I think trying to replace just one
section in an old cap can is a potential disaster. Would never try it.

Regarding Hayseed caps:
Never heard of them prior to this conversation. If they make a good
product, there will be times when I would go that route for the
convenience or if I can't come up with a combination of discrete
capacitors that will fit. Sometimes the price is no object. I have
clients with tube audio components who spent many thousands of dollars
on them and don't want any repairs that don't appear original or "custom
better". "Chrome Plated Bumper Bolts" are a hot item in collectible
audio. Nothing ruins the sound of a classic McIntosh amplifier like rust
pitting of the chromed chassis!

Thomas Garson
Aural Technology, Ashland, OR
By my calculation, the  dynamic range of the universe is roughly 679dB,
which is approximately 225 bits, collected at a rate 1.714287514x10^23 sps.

On 11/21/20 9:40 AM, greenboxmaven via groups.io wrote:
I would like to find a source for empty condenser cans and bases so you
could buy them and assemple your own condensers. The versitility to make
what you need and repalce only the failed sections would be very
welcome. I  have never especially liked the idea of one big condenser
winding being devided into portions. I have had too many problems of
leakage or signals crossing from one section to another ( like the AGC
portion in a Hammarlund HQ-180), plus the need to change the entire
thing when one section fails. I can understand the convenience to a
manufacturer, but the problems to the equipment owner are not welcome.
Meanwhile, I will cut the cans in two, emply them, put in new condensers
and put a shrink tube cover over them to hold everything together. To
answer you question, I have a couple big hifi amplifiers that use multi
section condensers. The replacements are NOT Hayseed brand, but another
well known maker, and all of them have failed at less than five years of
age.  What have other people experienced with contemporary can condenser
makers?

          Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 11/21/20 9:21 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:
I've purchased from Hayseed Hamfest multiple times. My purchases have
been for Heathkit gear.

I don't know if there are many Tektronix instruments that use
multi-section caps. But for Heathkit replacements, Hayseed Hamfest has
been invaluable.

DaveD

On 11/21/2020 5:01 AM, John Shadbolt wrote:
Hi,

Are there many Tek units that use multi-section electrolytic
capacitors? I came across this company that have a range of new caps
available and can make custom orders, I've not used them but would
welcome any feedback:

https://hayseedhamfest.com/

Regards,
John