Re: Multi-section electrolytic capacitors from Hayseed

Thomas Garson

Bruce,

Regarding non Hayseed capacitors: I also have had less than stellar experience with new manufacture multi section cans. I've reverted to stuffing old cans with new caps.

My method of "reloading" old capacitor cans is a bit different than yours. I've become fairly adept at using a small set of side cutters to remove only the crimp which holds the (bottom) cap in place. Sometimes I have to heat the can a bit to get the old guts out. Usually, I can save the solder tabs. I epoxy the two phenolic discs together to hold the tabs in place then drill small holes next to them for the capacitor leads (or extension wires, if needed) to come up through. Because I leave out the flexible insulating layer, there is enough aluminum left at the can bottom to re-curl it around the newly re-stuffed can. The assembly is only about 3/32" shorter than the original and is otherwise indiscernible different.

Knowing how these things are made, I think trying to replace just one section in an old cap can is a potential disaster. Would never try it.

Regarding Hayseed caps:
Never heard of them prior to this conversation. If they make a good product, there will be times when I would go that route for the convenience or if I can't come up with a combination of discrete capacitors that will fit. Sometimes the price is no object. I have clients with tube audio components who spent many thousands of dollars on them and don't want any repairs that don't appear original or "custom better". "Chrome Plated Bumper Bolts" are a hot item in collectible audio. Nothing ruins the sound of a classic McIntosh amplifier like rust pitting of the chromed chassis!

Thomas Garson
Aural Technology, Ashland, OR
By my calculation, the dynamic range of the universe is roughly 679dB,
which is approximately 225 bits, collected at a rate 1.714287514x10^23 sps.

On 11/21/20 9:40 AM, greenboxmaven via groups.io wrote:
I would like to find a source for empty condenser cans and bases so you could buy them and assemple your own condensers. The versitility to make what you need and repalce only the failed sections would be very welcome. I  have never especially liked the idea of one big condenser winding being devided into portions. I have had too many problems of leakage or signals crossing from one section to another ( like the AGC portion in a Hammarlund HQ-180), plus the need to change the entire thing when one section fails. I can understand the convenience to a manufacturer, but the problems to the equipment owner are not welcome. Meanwhile, I will cut the cans in two, emply them, put in new condensers and put a shrink tube cover over them to hold everything together. To answer you question, I have a couple big hifi amplifiers that use multi section condensers. The replacements are NOT Hayseed brand, but another well known maker, and all of them have failed at less than five years of age.  What have other people experienced with contemporary can condenser makers?
        Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY
On 11/21/20 9:21 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:
I've purchased from Hayseed Hamfest multiple times. My purchases have been for Heathkit gear.

I don't know if there are many Tektronix instruments that use multi-section caps. But for Heathkit replacements, Hayseed Hamfest has been invaluable.

DaveD

On 11/21/2020 5:01 AM, John Shadbolt wrote:
Hi,

Are there many Tek units that use multi-section electrolytic capacitors? I came across this company that have a range of new caps available and can make custom orders, I've not used them but would welcome any feedback:

https://hayseedhamfest.com/

Regards,
John