Re: Multi-section electrolytic capacitors from Hayseed

Michael A. Terrell

Someone on news:sci.electronics.repair asked them about cans and bases.
They refused to make anything available except entire capacitors. I have
searched for a source of empty, new deep drawn aluminum cans with nothing
promising. It would likely take someone working in China to find a supplier
who would tool up and sell less than MOQ of 10K-100K units.
Emachineshop could likely supply the steel parts. I have access to a
limited supply of aluminum tubing drops from a local company that is 1-5/8"
in varying lengths. Grainger and others sell hole plugs that would close
the open end, yet allow you to reuse the container for future repairs. They
offer CAD software on the website to design custom metal parts. That would
just leave the need for new terminal boards for the bottom of the cans.
www.emachineshop.com

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 1:48 PM greenboxmaven via groups.io <ka2ivy=
verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I suppose someone would need to be couragious enough to ask them. With
experiences I have endured for many years, I have great fear they would
be very angry at request that would reduce their profits or give the
consumer an option. I have no idea how many American companies would be
able or willing to tool up for that kind of fairly low volume metal
drawing and stamping. It might be far more practical to try to find a
Chinese company willing to fabricate the cans and bases.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 11/21/20 12:50 PM, Dave Daniel wrote:
Contact Hayseed Hamfest and ask them from where they buy their cans, I
have found them to be very supportive of off-the-wall questions,

DaveD

On 11/21/2020 12:40 PM, greenboxmaven via groups.io wrote:
I would like to find a source for empty condenser cans and bases so
you could buy them and assemple your own condensers. The versitility
to make what you need and repalce only the failed sections would be
very welcome. I have never especially liked the idea of one big
condenser winding being devided into portions. I have had too many
problems of leakage or signals crossing from one section to another (
like the AGC portion in a Hammarlund HQ-180), plus the need to change
the entire thing when one section fails. I can understand the
convenience to a manufacturer, but the problems to the equipment
owner are not welcome. Meanwhile, I will cut the cans in two, emply
them, put in new condensers and put a shrink tube cover over them to
hold everything together. To answer you question, I have a couple big
hifi amplifiers that use multi section condensers. The replacements
are NOT Hayseed brand, but another well known maker, and all of them
have failed at less than five years of age. What have other people
experienced with contemporary can condenser makers?

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 11/21/20 9:21 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:
I've purchased from Hayseed Hamfest multiple times. My purchases
have been for Heathkit gear.

I don't know if there are many Tektronix instruments that use
multi-section caps. But for Heathkit replacements, Hayseed Hamfest
has been invaluable.

DaveD

On 11/21/2020 5:01 AM, John Shadbolt wrote:
Hi,

Are there many Tek units that use multi-section electrolytic
capacitors? I came across this company that have a range of new
caps available and can make custom orders, I've not used them but
would welcome any feedback:

https://hayseedhamfest.com/

Regards,
John