Re: Difference between a 475 and a 475A

Tom Lee

You're narrowly interpreting "inferior" to mean "slow", but there are other qualities to consider, such as overshoot, ringing, "dribble" and so on. If you allow a little extra overshoot, it's possible to have a higher bandwidth, for example, but if you're fussy about the time response, then that tradeoff would be considered inferior.

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 11/19/2020 17:58, Jeff Dutky wrote:
John Gord wrote:
the 475A was basically the same as the 475, but adjusted for higher bandwidth but perhaps slightly inferior pulse response
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here: wouldn't "inferior pulse response" mean a longer rise time? Wouldn't a longer rise time necessarily mean a lower bandwidth?

I don't really understand all the math, but my impression, from evaluating my father's 475 and probes a couple months ago, was that you calculated bandwidth as the inverse of rise time multiplied by a constant (0.3-something?). Am I misunderstanding what is meant by "pulse response"?

-- Jeff Dutky