Re: Q122/222 Jfet J300 subs for 2215A scope ?

Ed Breya

For some reason I've been referring to the original working JFET as a J310, but looking back all the way to the OP, I'm not sure what it is - all kind of parts are floating around this thread. So Charles, can you identify the one official, working JFET that I've been referring to?

The reason I ask is that I looked up the J310, and found it is a very heavy beast - VHF/UHF, with Idss 24-60 mA - way too big and fast for this little scope amplifier, and way too big for Tom's estimated max of 30 mA for circuit operation. The correct part must be something else more "normal," among many possible choices. The J309 may work, but even it seems a bit much.The J300 seems about right, and the J210 or preferably J211 may be a good option. Also, I mentioned the 2N5485 and 2N5486 earlier, which I'm pretty sure were used a lot under various Tek part numbers. I think especially the 2N5486 was used extensively in scope input amplifiers.

Anyway, there are types that it could be, and types it shouldn't be.

Ed