Re: EZ Test for 4041

Gary Robert Bosworth

Monty: Thanx for your help with these tapes. They were never dropped by
me. They were always packaged good, so I cannot imagine how they saw any
violent physical shock. I sure hope that all 3 work good for you. I
cannot imagine how magnetic tapes could lose their flux density and fail so
bad in my system. My tape drive appears to be in perfect condition, and
was originally owned by NASA where it was not used much and was never
mistreated. Let's hope for the best. I do have 2 other tape drives, so I
might have to switch them which is difficult in that 4041 mainframe.

Gary

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 4:52 PM Monty McGraw <mmcgraw74@gmail.com> wrote:

Gary,

I got your three tapes, removed the belts and plastic parts and put them in
my dehydrator at 135F.
Thursday I will remove them from the dehydrator and begin testing them this
weekend.

One thing I noticed, two of the tape reels showed the tapes were dropped
and the edge of the reels were up to the top of the case :(

I pushed gently on the high edge to roughly center the tapes on the reels
before putting them in the dehydrator.

I did not dehydrate those tapes before sending them to you - I'm hoping
everything will be fine after they bake for two days.

I plan to install new belts on all three tapes.

Monty

Monty

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 12:33 PM Gary Robert Bosworth <grbosworth@gmail.com
wrote:

Monty: I have 3 tapes that have gone bad. I don't understand why they
went bad. My tape drive seems to be running smooth. I will be happy to
send the failed tapes to you to see what you can do with them. Please
send
me your snail mail address so I can get these in the mail as soon as
possible. Thanx.

Gary Bosworth
grbosworth@gmail.com

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 2:54 PM Monty McGraw <mmcgraw74@gmail.com> wrote:

Gary,

I would like to try recovering the files on your EZ-Test tape if you
still
have it.

Monty

--