From: "Stephen Hanselman" <kc4sw.io@kc4sw.com>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: 11/17/2020 9:08:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tektronix 7D13 and 7A42 wanted

If it’s a three battery pack in our area we go to batteries+ and pick up a three cell portable phone battery. Then solder the leads to existing wires and use double sided sticky tape. Works fine.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC
On Nov 17, 2020, at 21:03, Jim Ford <james.ford@cox.net> wrote:

Speaking of NiCads in HP gear, I just closed up my 8350B sweep oscillator after replacing a slightly melted power inlet and the suspect Rifa cap soldered to it. I remembered somebody on the HPAK group mentioning NiCads in that very model, so I poked around and found them against the wall of the plug-in compartment with a pop-off lid. Pretty easy to check, certainly a lot easier than soldering and unsoldering 12 wires connecting to the power inlet with no service loop to speak of!
No leaks in my NiCads, but the voltage read really low. Still keeps its front panel settings, even when disconnecting the AC power cable. I'll write up the full repair on HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment@groups.io.

And a couple years ago I designed a breakout box at work. It needed 2 AA batteries inside for powering a keep-alive interface. So I put 2 tip jacks on the box so that the keep-alive battery voltage could be measured with DMM probes without opening the box, which was secured with 4 screws. Well, the guys using the box gave me crap about using tip jacks instead of banana jacks so they could hook up a bench power supply. Well, you could always remove the tip jacks and replace them with banana jacks, after drilling the holes out a bit, I told them. You could do the same on your instrument, if you don't mind the aesthetics.

Jim Ford