Re: Tektronix 7D13 and 7A42 wanted

John Gord

Tom,
I also had a summer job that included making a 1702 EPROM programmer. I resorted to using at least one genuine electromechanical relay to switch the HV.
(Carver Mead was my undergraduate advisor and had received some 1702 via former students at Intel.)
--John Gord

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Tom Lee wrote:

Yes, thanks to Moore's law, life is quite different, for engineers and
everyone else.

One of my earliest college summer jobs was building a programmer for
1702 EPROMs. I thought I was being set up for a newhire hazing gag --
negative 48 volts on address and data lines?? Surely that had to be a
joke. But that was what it took to program those mighty bits.

Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 11/17/2020 18:33, Stephen Bell wrote:
EEPROM type devices were around at the time but they were quite difficult to
use. Some required -30V supplies, had awkward logic levels and were
incredibly slow.

The performance and ease of use of modern non-volatile memory devices is
incredible when you look back at what was available to designers back in the
80's.