Re: Tektronix 7D13 and 7A42 wanted

Ed Breya

Well, it's back in business so far, and appears to be OK. It has been burning in since last I spoke here. I may let it go overnight, but I dislike wasting mainframe CRT life (even turned down, it still uses up the heater) while cooking plug-ins for long times.

I also rediscovered why I shelved it before - it's a PITA to use and set up, if your eyesight isn't what it used to be. I'd need a magnifier or much stronger glasses to read all the panel labels, and also remember the syntax. It is still cool though, if you're needing to look at logic signals, but forget about it for general purpose use. Another thing is that the three range settings in each (TTL/ECL) mode aren't that useful for direct input - it's really geared for 10X probes, whether 1 meg for TTL/CMOS, or 500 ohms for ECL. I like that P6320 probe for ECL, with offsetting capability, but I suppose those are hard to find, and expensive, too. When you work in ECL though, a probe isn't that big a deal, since you can usually add tap-offs and test points for 50 ohm cable anyway, including DC offsetting.

So anyway, I think I'm done for now. Also, I see I'm not the only one who didn't know there's a battery in these puppies. Good luck to all of you with fixing them back up.

Ed