Re: Tektronix 7D13 and 7A42 wanted

Tom Lee

Yes, thanks to Moore's law, life is quite different, for engineers and everyone else.

One of my earliest college summer jobs was building a programmer for 1702 EPROMs. I thought I was being set up for a newhire hazing gag --
negative 48 volts on address and data lines?? Surely that had to be a joke. But that was what it took to program those mighty bits.

Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 11/17/2020 18:33, Stephen Bell wrote:
EEPROM type devices were around at the time but they were quite difficult to use. Some required -30V supplies, had awkward logic levels and were incredibly slow.

The performance and ease of use of modern non-volatile memory devices is incredible when you look back at what was available to designers back in the 80's.