Re: Special Offer from Peter Keller to TekScopes Members: The Cathode Ray Tube, Technology, History, and Applications"

greenboxmaven

It is absolutely true. A consciencous station would have one or two typical home color TVs, connected to good outdoor antennas and not cable, in the control room to see and know what their viewers were seeing at home. Because of the design compromises of consumer TVs, especially in the color decoding circuitry and the lack of DC restoration, tweaks were made to be sure the home viewer was pleased. I worked in the TV repair craft between 1967 and 77, and there was a lot progress made and very bad compromises as well. Remember, a nice 23 inch console color set would cost $2500-4000 in today's money. Now you can buy a 45 inch high definition hang on the wall flat screen color set for $300 or less.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 11/16/20 3:48 PM, stevenhorii wrote:
In the days of color CRTs for television, I knew a guy who worked in a
broadcast studio. Though Trinitron displays (Tektronix made a display
monitor that used a Trinitron CRT) were used in the control room of the
studio, he said that they also had a conventional triangular dot shadow
mask monitor as that was what most home TVs used and they wanted to be sure
that the broadcast image looked as good on the triangle shadow mask monitor
as it did on the Trinitron ones. Whether or not this is true, I don't know.

Steve H.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 3:38 PM Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com>
wrote:

Hi Barry,
As with so many things there is an excellent explanation on Wikipedia of
shadow mask and Trinitron tubes and how they work. It is at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode-ray_tube.
Scroll down to the section I am referring to. No magic is involved, just a
shadow mask.
Dennis Tillman W7pF