From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of n4buq
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 9:43 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Special Offer from Peter Keller to TekScopes Members: The Cathode Ray Tube, Technology, History, and Applications"

Hi Tom,

My question is probably quite simple but, like I said, I'm not finding a good answer.

As I understand it (and from personal observation when I had a Trinitron TV and I'm primarily wondering about this type of CRT but the question probably applies to others), the screen has groupings of RBG phospher dots and the RGB guns "activate" those dots as needed; however, what I'm not understanding is how a given gun "activates" a given dot. Is a particular phosphor dot sensitive to a property of one of the color guns such that a blue dot ignores a red gun, etc.? If so, then I can somewhat understand it but I'm wondering if I'm way off in that assumption.

The various sites just seem to indicate there are three guns, each of which magically cause a given color to appear but it's not explained how a single color gun causes a corresponding dot to glow without affecting the ones around it.

(Hope that made sense...)

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ