Re: Clean and Lubricate Pots in Tek 475

Ray

There is on hail mary you can try.Drill a small hole sideways into the pot if it's made of plastic. You have to be steady or put a properly cut down brass tube over the drillbit to prevent drilling to deep. Then spray in your favourite lubricant.I did this on a icom transceiver and it worked nicely.RaySent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device------ Original message------From: Ed Breya via groups.ioDate: Sat, Nov 7, 2020 14:29To: TekScopes@groups.io;Cc: Subject:Re: [TekScopes] Clean and Lubricate Pots in Tek 475Jeff, the bad spots on pots can likely be cleaned up by lots of rotations, even if you can't open them up or get enough oil or cleaner into them. Once you get the shafts to turn easily, rotate them end to end lots of times - possibly a hundred or more. For any particular bad spot, rotate the shaft lots more right around it, instead of the whole range, and see if it seems to improve.

This is approximately what many of us recommend - lots of rotations tend to eventually scrape off old grease and debris films on the resistor element. If the films are too tough, or the element is damaged, then there's not much else you can do but remove and fix or replace.

Ed