Re: Clean and Lubricate Pots in Tek 475

Greg Muir

Eric,

I am aware that there are various camps regarding the use/not use of WD40 as a cleaner & lubricant for potentiometers. I myself shy away from it given past experiences with the behavior of this penetrant/lubricant and it’s properties over time.

There has been much said about the combination of the carrier and lubricant used in this product and its propensity to leave behind residue after the carrier evaporates. In my experience I have witness a very heavy and sticky form of oil that forms after extended periods of time.

Aside from that I adhere to products listed as being specifically formulated for electronic purposes. In many respects it is better to be safe than sorry especially if the target item is non-replaceable as those things used in legacy equipment. Granted Tek did specify (or recommend) WD40 in a couple of their documents but it was not widespread. This was possibly due to a recommendation made by one or a few individuals. Although I do not know where these recommendations were made I feel that the factory designed service lifetime has past some considerable time ago.

I am sure that if the WD40 company felt safe with recommending its use on potentiometers they would have included that in their promotional literature. But when they state that it is useful on “larger electric motors, armatures, relays, electric panels, and generators” I feel a little unsure about committing it to sensitive electronic purposes other than those that are stated.

There are plenty of good products out there on the market targeted at applications like that in this discussion. Why not use them?

Greg

Eric wrote:

“Greg I have to disagree with you on this one…..”