Re: refurbishing TM500 and TM5000 hardware

Richard R. Pope

Chuck,
In actuality the TM5000 has both a Linear supply and a Switching supply.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 10/28/2020 9:28 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:
TM500 has a mains transformer powered linear supply.
TM5000 has an inverter powered switching power supply.

-Chuck Harris

Richard Erlacher wrote:
I’ve not looked inside one of these frames, of which I have several, to see what sort of power supply they have, but I don’t remember anything that looked like a switch-mode supply. They have electrolytic caps, and that’s what I’m worrying about. Also, the function generators have poorly formed waveforms at the higher end of their frequency range, and that may, in fact be due to aging electrolytics as well. I’ve seen a number of cases, albeit in CRT’s and not these particular units, wherein an aged cap caused failure of a power-transistor, and I had several of those CRT’s so I could remove and replace the cap rather than the transistor, whereupon I found that the transistor was still perfectly good. Subsequent fooling around showed that the cap was in need of reforming, at which point it worked just fine.

I’m still having trouble figuring out just how to operate within this environment. I’ll catch on eventually.

Regards,

Uli

Sent from Mail for Windows 10