Re: Air filters for big 500 series scopes

Ray

Tom,Priceless RaySent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device------ Original message------From: Tom LeeDate: Tue, Oct 20, 2020 13:49To: TekScopes@groups.io;Cc: Subject:Re: [TekScopes] Air filters for big 500 series scopesI am very impressed by how much deep knowledge about cleaning aluminum
you guys possess! I just let gunk accumulate until it evolves into a
lifeform. I didn't realize that there was an alternative.

Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 10/20/2020 10:44, stevenhorii wrote:
For cleaning aluminum filters, has anyone tried steam cleaning? I have
tried steam cleaning on greasy oven pans (stainless and enamel) and it
works like a charm, though you want to be careful where you let the
condensed steam drip - it carries the oil and grease with it.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:43 PM Roy Thistle
wrote:

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 08:32 PM, stevenhorii wrote:

chlorinated detergents
Yes... I think chlorinated mainly for those compound's sanitization
properties... but unless one is trying to sanitize those old filters
(wouldn't hurt: right?)... I'm skeptical that chlorinated compounds add
much to the cleaning ability of such detergents, relative to detergents
containing phosphates. (I don't know that there are any modern, for sale,
formulated detergents that perform as well as the discontinued/banned
phosphated ones.)
To clean some really dirty, and old, 500 aluminum filters, I tried a lot
of different solvents, and cleaners... and finally I settled on TSP. The
difference, as Dr. Beaker would say, was most satisfactory.