576 CT no step generator current but voltage steps OK

Ed Breya

I recently tried to check some transistors but found the 576 isn't delivering base current steps. My most recent use was on some JFETs, which worked fine, with voltage steps. I mostly do I-V checking, and seldom bipolar transistors, so I have no idea how long ago this function crapped out.

I'll have to pull it off the bench and go through all the grief of handling and opening up this beast and digging into the guts. Before I do, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this particular problem, and if maybe it's something simple, like a pulled connector or such? Or, is there anything in the plug-in test fixture that could cause this? It would be a lot easier to yank the fixture and work on just that, of course. I've worked on these plenty of times, and expect the diagnosis and repair will be OK, unless it's something deep inside and hard to access.

Ed