Re: Shipping Scopes

Thomas Garson

I'm replying to my own post to clarify.

I sell a lot on eBay. I have a stellar record for my packing jobs, but I don't do free freight without determining what the actual cost is likely to be for the locations I am willing to sell into, and factoring that into the price. Certain items, such as fragile equipment with tubes and other glass, I specify in the sale terms a high packing fee with shipping on top of that. I charge more for the necessarily more stout packing used for heavy package international shipping. Yes, domestic UPS and FedEx can be hard on packages, but international is the big leagues when it comes to package abuse.

Back to eBay:
Feedback is very important. If you don't try to provide negative feedback, a deceitful/unscrupulous seller will continue to be dishonest. Yes, dishonest. Many cheat sellers will offer free freight and then do a really crappy pack job, or they will understate shipping cost because they want to maximize sell margin, OR they will give a proper rate for shipping and then pocket extra money by using a cheaper service or doing a substandard pack job. Negative Feedback is one of the few ways to leverage a proper resolution and the only way to protect future buyers from such cretins. Sometimes a seller will be significantly more willing to "make it right" if you initiate the eBay feedback process and indicate Negative Feedback may be forthcoming. Don't just slam the seller immediately, give them a change to fix things, but don't be timid about calling them on it. Teddy Roosevelt had it right.

Thomas Garson
Aural Technology, Ashland, OR
By my calculation, the dynamic range of the universe is roughly 679dB,
which is approximately 225 bits, collected at a rate 1.714287514x10^23 sps.

On 9/28/20 7:44 PM, Thomas Garson wrote:
Make sure to enter bad feedback, and be very clear about why.
Thomas Garson
Aural Technology, Ashland, OR
By my calculation, the  dynamic range of the universe is roughly 679dB,
which is approximately 225 bits, collected at a rate 1.714287514x10^23 sps.
On 9/28/20 3:51 PM, David Collier wrote:
Just received a Heathkit IO-10 from the USA via the Global Shipping Service.  It was loosely packed in a cardboard parcel and had clearly been dropped from waist height onto concrete!  Hence one large electrolytic had broken away from its paxolin base; all three large compactrons were half out of their sockets at the same angle, and the chassis was bent on one side. The CRT survived but has something loose inside, so may or may not work.
By contrast I drove 8 hours to safely pick up two TEK 545B's locally.
Sellers need education in packing these things properly.