Re: Strange Tek2440 issue

Vince Vielhaber

Ok, Q879 collector is solid. When things go sour, it stays. The base voltage is moving, as is the emitter. So it's being told to compensate for the change. However, under normal conditions, the collector voltage is lower by a few hundred mv than the schematic calls for while the base and emitter are within a few mv. Under normal conditions there's a 300mv drop across the shunt.

Going to take a closer look at Q879's feed.

Vince.

On 09/01/2020 10:03 AM, Siggi wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 8:36 PM Vince Vielhaber <vev@...> wrote:

The 5V jumping around is the 5V regulated that C494 is on. There it
drops a volt or so when I switch below 200ns. According to my Fluke,
when it goes out completely it holds at 3.93v.
Oh, interesting. I assumed you were talking about the 5VD, which is the
main switch-mode regulated supply that feeds all the digital logic.

You're talking about the linear regulated 5V supply. Same deal though, go
back to the first decoupling cap, see whether the supply is jaggy and
whether the raw supply holds up when the regulated supply drops. Most
likely - as others have noted - this is due to geriatric bulk caps in the
secondary, so check that first.
If the raw supply is holding up OK when the regulated supply drops, then
you move downstream and see what's up. This supply is current limited, so
you can infer the current it's using by measuring across the shunt.