Re: Right to Repair - Re: [TekScopes] Digital scope with CRT

greenboxmaven

By the early 1980s, you could easily buy electronics parts here in Syracuse, even specific ones for consumer equipment. Distributors of parts for HVAC and major appliances are still nasty, but telling them " If you won't sell me what I need, I will get it on the internet. Do you really want to lose a sale?" will often change their policies. In the 1960s when I was in high school, the situation with local suppliers was horrible, especially if you were trying to buy parts for consumer items. By the late 70s, most of them were out of business. The ones remaining were delighted to see any customer come in. There was always mail order, but it was glacially slow and orders were often incomplete. Lafayette and Allied were pretty decent in those times, and there were plenty military surplus dealers too. For Tektronix gear, there was a good sized store about fifty miles away that had both new and surplus parts. The owner was very nasty, but usually had ten year old Tektronix scopes at difficult but not impossible prices. As for the environmental consequences of making it impossible to repair all sorts of things, it is horrific and unsustainable. Fortunately, amatuer radio and sound system hobbyists are very active and proficient in hacking, reverse enginnering, and disseminating what they have discovered.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 8/27/20 8:43 AM, scm@... wrote:
I have never, in the last 60 years, had a problem buying components from distributers. In the early years, I would just call a local distributer and place an order (Will Call) and pay cash on pickup. After the first purchase, they knew me as a regular customer. This got very easy when I was in graduate school. All the distributers knew me a both an individual and a lab purchaser. I use Digikey and Mouser now and maintain a huge inventory purchased on the surplus market.

There are issues, however, with the design of equipment to be unrepairable (or repairable only with custom parts from the manufacturer) and with the refusal by the manufacturer to make documentation freely available at a reasonable cost. These practices contribute to excess landfill (or other waste stream) use, ocean pollution, etc. The practices are, thus, environmentally, economically and socially undesirable.