Re: Right to Repair - Re: [TekScopes] Digital scope with CRT

Dave Seiter

Besides electronics, I dabble in quite a few other things, but in the past 30 years, I've only come across one industry that refused to do business with me.  My house came with an old hot tub that I decided to rebuild about 2000.  I don't recall what part I was trying to source, but all the local places that sold parts absolutely refused to do business with me.  They only sold to people "in the industry".  I think I eventually rebuilt whatever it was, because we used it until about 2008, when it really started falling apart.  It may have been an early ebay purchase too, I just don't recall.  What I do clearly recall is how odd it was they didn't want to deal with me.  I never had problems buying from other appliance parts dealers or anyone else.  Proprietary data yes, but parts no.
-Dave

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 08:37:34 PM PDT, Shirley Dulcey KE1L <mark@...> wrote:

Electronics distributors have gotten a lot more friendly to small customers
over the years. Digi-Key and Mouser pioneered it, catering to hams and
hobbyists from the get-go. That turned out to be a great business model for
them, because some of those people later went on to work in the industry
and continued to order from the companies they knew and loved.

The second thing that helped the change along was the ubiquitous adoption
of credit cards. In the olden daisies a big obstacle to ordering from most
distributors (other than Digi-Key and Mouser, and Lafayette when it was
still around) was the need to have an account. Now that everybody has
credit cards, they have become the normal way for small to medium-ish
companies to order; it's too much trouble to set up an account and go
through the bank investigations. A typical startup doesn't even bother to
apply until it starts making production orders, assuming it ever does
rather than outsourcing manufacturing.

Finally, there was the internet. Online ordering lowered the cost of
handling orders a lot;. You don't have to pay somebody to answer the phone
or transcribe paper order forms, and the error rate dropped because of
eliminating an intermediate step.

At this point, our orders really aren't any different from a small company
ordering parts for a prototype, and we're no more trouble to process.
They're ordering parts to make somewhere between one and five of something,
and so are we. Digi-Key and Mouser are still there to take our orders, and
other distributors like Arrow have made a move into the small-order game.
There are still a few things that are hard to order because they are only
handled by old-school distributors that are unfriendly to us, but those
areas are shrinking.

I'm not sure the situation has changed as dramatically in fields other than
electronics. Somebody here may know.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:13 PM greenboxmaven via groups.io <ka2ivy=
verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Even with repair manuals and schematics, there was another obstacle
years ago-parts. I'm not speaking of unique Tektronix built parts, but
rather condensers and resistors, tubes, transistors and connectors. In
the place and time I spent my youth, there was a constant struggle for
hobbyists and experimenters to buy basic components from suppliers. They
tried to sell only to commercial businesses, angering a whole generation
who were delighted when they went out of business  years later.  I
especially enjoy restoring Tektronix and products of the other major
instrument and scope builder because they were built with excellence and
pride, and prospered by the merit of their work rather than entrapment.

        Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 8/26/20 9:14 PM, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
Right to repair is opposed by Apple, John Deere and hundreds of others.
Their "cash cow" is gouging customers for "repairs" by restricting the
availability of service information and parts.  My father in law runs John
Deere equipment and is constantly being screwed for that green paint that
they spray on almost every part.  A $10.00 SKF of Timken bearing, painted
JD Green magically costs $150-$200 at the dealer; same part in a JD Box!
As Mr. Griessen stated, the Firmware and Software are even more vulnerable,
as there is no alternative.  This is an area where the Governments should
act and they do not, since these companies have powerful lobbies across the
world.