On 27/08/20 04:35, Shirley Dulcey KE1L wrote:
Electronics distributors have gotten a lot more friendly to small customersOne of my early projects, in ~73, was to build one of these new-fangled digital clocks with the miraculous LEDs.
Sourcing the parts involved:
* reading magazines to find what was available
* writing off for data sheets
* scavenging most components from scrap circuit boards
* finding a source of the special clock chip and enormous 0.5" LEDs, in California
* obtaining and sending an International Money Order; no credit cards, no cheques
* waiting for the components to arrive by slow boat
* elapsed time of several months!
It turned out to be the first most people in the road had seen, and some hated seeing their life tick away every second.
I still have it, it still works, and I recently converted it into a Vetinari clock