Re: 2465 Fan Collet Thingy

Li Gangyi

That is ultimately my plan. Gonna cut a screw down as a stud and put the
same resin in the there and cure the whole thing in a UV chamber, should
get rid of any issues with the square edges in the initial hole.

I tested a piece to destruction, it broke at the collet slits when I side
loaded it too much on the lathe, which is a fair bit and not anything id
expect in use. This is with a exterior collet I made to fit this collet, I
have yet to test the strength of the threads, i will do so next. Torque it
down hard with some washers in between and see how much it takes to strip
it out.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 5:54 AM <scm@menasians.com> wrote:

A bit of background. I am not a 3D printer guy. If I were making this
part, I would machine
it with a lathe and a milling machine. Also, I might make it entirely out
of metal, depending upon the ultimate application. That having been said -
If I were making t out of plastic, I would consider tapping a 6-32 hole at
the stud end and epoxying in a metal stud ( sawed off piece
of a machine screw). This should end up much stronger than an all plastic
part. The epoxy would ensure strength and reliability and guard against
unscrewing.