Re: Tektronix 475

Simon

I tested all the transistors in the Z-axis amplifier and all were OK. The amplifier puts out a square wave which varies from 0 to 35 V with the intensity control, but the beam was still too bright at all intensity settings. I started to suspect the voltage multiplier circuit (C1372, CR1377, CR1379) as the input was at least 40 V p-p. The components tested OK with a multimeter, but I replaced the diodes in case they were breaking down at circuit voltages. No change, but all controls operate as described in the manual with the scope probe on the cold side of C1372. The circuit diagram in my copy of the manual does not correspond exactly to the circuit description as it shows a separate winding on the HT transformer for grid bias, which I cannot locate (transformer on other side of the board). However, a 40-50kHz signal is coming through the 390 kΩ resistor (R1326) from somewhere. I will just live with a bright trace for the moment and concentrate on the Y output amplifier, which looks as thought it can be removed and tested on the bench.
Simon