Re: 5S14N what should I know?

Szabolcs Szigeti

Hi,

Thanks, it is good to know that longer wires make such a difference in this
application. Although maybe that could be solved by placing a capacitor
right next to the board. I'll have to experiment with it, although probably
conversion to LEDs would be the best solution.

Szabolcs

Roger Evans via groups.io <very_fuzzy_logic=yahoo.com@groups.io> ezt írta
(időpont: 2020. aug. 11., K, 18:38):

I have a 7S14 which I use infrequently and I am quite happy with 1.5V
watch batteries. I don't think the rise time is greatly affected by the
difference between 1.35V and 1.5V, the sampling diode on time will be
slightly less because of the larger reverse bias but this is taken out by a
small change in loop gain. I did find the wiring of the batteries to be
critical, I wanted to put them in holders but the extra size made the
wiring awkward and the longer leads and extra inductance were a killer. If
you want a quick check that the 5S14 is working, solder two wires to a
standard watch battery and connect it in with short wires, the original Hg
batteries have strip connections which presumably helps to keep the
inductance down.

Have fun,

Roger