Tektronix 475

Simon

I have a Tektronix 475 oscilloscope with no display. All voltages test correctly including the -2450V supply. On pressing the beam finder I see a very faint vertical stripe which can be moved from side to side by the horizontal deflection knob. I suspect a fault in the high voltage multiplier. I am wondering if there is a way of testing it without extensive disassembly. I was thinking of sticking a hypodermic needle through the HT insulation and connecting it to a neon bulb through a large resistor. Is this dangerous or is there an easier way?
Many thanks
Simon