Re: eBay / PayPal Changes and our alternatives

Michael W. Lynch

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 11:14 PM, EJP wrote:

It is a sign that people have stopped, or been stopped from, selling this
stuff on e-bay.
Sadly, for those of us in rural areas, E-Bay was one of very few opportunities that we had to get our hands on a wider selection of this gear. Not living in or near a large metro area, there are not the swap meets, large hamfests, electronics resale shops and other sources available to myself and others to obtain this gear at reasonable prices. We have one local Hamfest, which did not happen this year and there are a limited number of enthusiasts in my area.

Loss of e-bay has been no loss to me for several years.<
I am not willing to move to a large metro area to alleviate this problem or facilitate my hobby. So the loss of E-Bay as a reasonable source for test gear has been a major blow. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on some good buys before this madness started. Pricing and shipping, for the most part, are totally out of reason for me at this point. Equipment that I bought two years ago for almost nothing, is now going for an outrageous price and outrageous shipping. I suppose I will need to shop a lot harder and be more selective of what I buy, going forward. Or perhaps, I do have enough test gear?

> The PayPal situation is truly bizarre. It was orignally part of e-bay, then
they spun it off.
Yes, the relationship between E-Bay and PayPal has taken a bizarre twist over the years.

Good times!

Thanks!
--
Michael Lynch