Re: Message to satbeginner and Saroj Pradhan re: Tektronix 2230

Glydeck

Chuck,

Loved your reminiscence of you and your dad repairing your Tektronix 513D. Got my first scope at about the same age from a sound engineer that worked at the movie studio along with my dad. I got a Zenith scope along with a hand made Wein bridge oscillator. The scope went to my nephew but I kept the oscillator. I continue to maintain it and it still works.

My dad worked in special effects and showed me how to safely work with explosives so we could blow up Revell models and film them with 8 mm cameras. Yes, a different time.

George

On Aug 5, 2020, at 9:49 AM, Chuck Harris <cfharris@...> wrote:

Straw man much, Roy?

You would probably be mortified that my father, also an
EE, but of the power and light variety, gave me a 513D
oscilloscope for Xmas; when I was a tender young man of 13.

At 13, my sole and only electronics training was building a
xtal radio, a motor, a few Heathkits, shocking the dickens
out of myself with a model T Ford spark coil... repeatedly,
and reading many years worth of Radio Amateur's Handbooks.
Oh, that and taking apart things I found in the town's dump.

Dad had taught me to use a soldering gun, and solder back
when I was 4 or 5... Or, rather, I watched him do it, and
he did nothing to discourage me when I borrowed his gun and
solder and made things with it. He had what for him would
have been a lifetime supply of Ersin Multi-core solder, that
I used up long before I left junior high school.

When the 513D needed some service, he helped me to remove
its cabinet, handed me the manual to study, and advised me
to always wear shoes, and to keep one hand in my pocket
when I probed around in its chassis. I'm a romantic, he
probably said more, but I don't remember it that way.
Dad was way more comfortable with engines, motors, transformers
and very large generators.

My dad understood electricity, but electronics, not so much.

It took quite a while, but I fixed that scope, with plenty
of encouragement, but no real help, and I didn't kill, or
even shock myself.

The world today has become a large cesspool of ninnies feeding
off of each others insecurities. That wouldn't be so bad,
but they are all know-it-all ninnies, that know what is best
for each and everyone of us, and mandate all of it.

To achieve anything worth achieving, you have to take a chance.

Even if you work naively, and carelessly, the likelihood of
killing yourself with these scopes is small enough as to be
insignificant. Sparks and electric shocks have a tendency to
focus your attention.

You should read of the extreme effort Edison's surrogates had
to go to to make a working electric chair... all in an attempt
damage Westinghouse, and AC power transmission.

-Chuck Harris

Roy Thistle wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 08:13 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:

Because of the experience level
and also... DaveC wrote:

I enjoy reading the back-and-forth between the owner and any number of helpers on a repair project
Newbie: I have a butter knife and a 10.00 meter (says DMM on it, what's that?) Anyway, I'm trying to fix my 2465 oscilloscope... it doesn't work. Can someone help me.
Gumpy Old Man: Hi Newbie. Check the voltages on the power supply. Use your digital multimeter, and an isolation transformer.
Grumpy Old Man: Hi Newbie.. did you check the power supply voltages?
... some time passing...
Grumpy Old Man: Haven't heard from you for some time. Is everything okay?
...crickets...