Re: Message to satbeginner and Saroj Pradhan re: Tektronix 2230

DaveC <davec2468@...>

I concur Chuck.

I was enrolled here a decade ago when I was fixing a Tek 2465 (since retired to a hobbyist). I am now selling my last Tek, a 2430A. I would like to stay a member but have no equipment challenges (although still soldering up circuits and might like to tap this deep group brain once in a while).

I enjoy reading the back-and-forth between the owner and any number of helpers on a repair project. Photos of waveforms help me visualize being there, doing the probing and troubleshooting. That experience might even stir an idea for the owner that I could post to the group.

In all, I think this format works well.

Cheers,
Dave

On Aug 4, 2020, at 8:13 PM, Chuck Harris <cfharris@erols.com> wrote:

Hi Dennis,

I didn't mean to make trouble, but I thought we were trying
to encourage newbies, and helping them often requires a lot
of one-on-one hand holding. I have done this myself many times,
as have others. Satbeginner is anything but a beginner, and
does a very nice job of helping others get their footing.

If they were diverging off to talk about trucks, or honey badgers,
I could see your point, but in my scan through the thread, they
didn't. It was tightly focused.

Because of the experience level, satbeginner obviously thought
it better to only introduce one task at a time... which lead
to a lot of one and two sentence posts.

15-20 years ago, Tekscopes was set so that replies went to the
individual, rather than the group. We collectively voted to stop
that practice because it hid the "sausage making" from the group,
and only the one engaged in the private banter learned anything.

I think we made a wise decision when we encouraged the replies to
be on the group.

Also, although I really hate it, our group has a few grumpy old men
that start spouting off whenever the groups topics don't exactly match
their interests.

If you want to start moderating, ... well, there's a challenge.

-Chuck Harris

Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
Hi Chuck,
The first thing I can say is I always appreciate you input.

I did receive a complaint about it so I took a closer look. What I saw was an awful lot of messages with only two individuals involved. I was concerned that others might find it annoying.

It was a judgement call. But since many others indicate they are benefitting from it please accept my apology.

Dennis W7pF