The occasional spam doesn't bother me, so I'd encourage Dennis (et al?) to choose whatever mechanism is least work for themselves.

It isn't just mask guys; electronic components as well :(  I've seen them ask questions with appropriate terms and sentences, but with paragraphs that indicate either complete beginner or not an English speaker.

Their followups to responses are either non-existent or complete rubbish.

On 04/08/20 15:01, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
These mask guys have been doing this on other groups.  Dennis is 100% correct in his new policy.  They ask some question, usually a how-to, and get approved.  Then after they're approved here it comes.  I've seen them in machining groups asking the same questions but using terms that are more apropos to the group.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 08/04/2020 04:37 AM, David C. Partridge wrote:
I didn't raise the point at the time, and 'm really not trying to tell you
"how to suck eggs":   Did you check with the person involved? It is
possible that his email had been hi-jacked, and that he wasn't the spammer.

Why do I say this - it happened to me a long time ago to a different email
from the one I now use.   Not much spam was sent and I was not (luckily)
banned anywhere.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis
Tillman W7pF
Sent: 04 August 2020 01:24
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Preventing SPAM from new members

Prior to the SPAMMER I accepted and approved as a member a few weeks ago
anyone who wanted to post a message to TekScopes had to be approved by me. I
read each of their pending messages to be sure they passed my "smell" test.
If they did, then I approved them as a member and unmoderated them at the
same time.
Unfortunately spammers are now getting better at hiding their intentions and
it is becoming harder to separate them from legitimate future members.
From this point forward I will no longer be un-moderating new members
automatically. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause
new members.
Thanks to the member who alerted me to that spammer he was immediately
banned, all of his posts were removed, and all of the posts by others in
response the topic(s) he initiated were removed.

Dennis Tillman W7pF