Re: Why would you do this?

Dave Seiter

Ebay sellers most certainly do not all "make some money" on packaging and shipping!  In fact, since ebay final value includes any shipping cost, they are actually losing money on shipping unless they are hugely padding the shipping amount (and some do, but it seems to mostly be brick and mortar stores with an additional ebay storefront that do so, and the people who think their $20 item is worth $300).
I never pad the cost of shipping, charge for materials (unless the buyer wants something specific that I don't already have), and I refund excess shipping fees when they occur (if more than a few cents).  That's usually due to a listing with fixed shipping that gets purchased by someone local.  I also never use stock photos- like you say, it's asking for trouble unless the item is still shrink wrapped.
-Dave

On Monday, August 3, 2020, 12:51:04 PM PDT, Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@...> wrote:

On Sat, Aug  1, 2020 at 09:58 AM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

So why would he want to take additional photos for a manual he is selling for
$15.00. I thinking he is doing any member who has a P6042 probe a favor by
offering it at all.
Hi Dennis:
It's refreshing to read your post... since I tend to be cynical about Ebay sellers (and Crag's List et. al. sellers too.)
IMHO 20USD is a good bit! (lt's more than millions, maybe 10s of millions of Americans make in an hour, or even 2 hours.) Thus, for a few minutes work, the seller probably made about  20.00USD. Not Bad, for something he/she got from a dumpster! The seller made some money on the shipping/packing too!... they always do! And, the seller already has an Ebay store... selling toy ships, and shoes, and candle wax... even selling tomatoes, but not kings.
Ebay has copious warnings about buying items based on cropped, or single photos, or even stock photos... and though I am not a Ebay seller..listing items, with such pics, leaves a seller wide open for someone to file a case  against them, for "not as shown/described."
Lastly, how much time does it take to push the camera button, a couple more times, to get good documentation!... and why don't some sellers do that?
Best regards and wishes.
Roy