Re: OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group? (with added bonus question!)

jslcanuck

What, no snappy retort to put me in my place?

You talk about redundancy like it's a bad thing. Lemme tell you about redundancy:
It gives you error detection and it gives you fault tolerance. And a search function is
only as good as the nature and consistency of the data set you're searching within,
which in the case of 7000 not-particularly-organized contributors is always going to
be less than stellar.

So taxonomy and hierarchy are your best friends if you want to have a hope of finding
what you're looking for without extensive, repetitive, and increasingly-speculative
searching in a big flat swamp of files and directories. And if you think that's somehow
superior to having a directory called "465", then you're in possession of some new
magic which has not yet been brought to my attention.

Now, I don't claim to know everything about the capabilities of the groups.io system,
but what I do know is that they provide a blockheaded and ham-handed set of tools that
constantly presents new surprises in what it *can't* do, for example, the inability to
create a file hierarchy in the photos section or to cleanly embed a link in the files section.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Jonathan