Re: OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group? (with added bonus question!)

jslcanuck

Happy to have sparked a new discussion! (Though my initial impetus, the question about probe clips, remains unanswered.)

I think everyone here understands the various sides of this geometric solid. Yes, modern design techniques have largely
obviated the need. (Hell, back in the 80s, when I was embarking on my first bit-slice design, the people who were coaching
me said, "Forget about the analyzer - what you need is a writable control store and a very good clue.")

But there are also those cases when, as pointed out, things just aren't working the way they're supposed to, and there's
no substitute for actually digging in and seeing what's going on down on the ground. And they're absolutely irreplaceable
when reverse-engineering systems, especially old ones. In fact, the reason this has bubbled up is that a bunch of us are
engaged in just that over in another group, digging into the guts of a 30+ year old piece of digital development equipment
to see if we can make it do the things the manufacturer said it couldn't. (Hint: We're winning.)

So the applications are there, but they're not the point of what I'm talking about. No matter the nature of your need, if you
feel it's time for an analyzer, you oughta be able to find the information necessary to make the one you're choosing work
and be useful. And this is much harder than you think, because the manuals and software for a lot of these machines
have been lost to the sands of time. So it's absolutely necessary to resist Balkanization: I'm going to have a Tek group,
and you can have the HP group, and we'll let some loser take care of the Ariums because my fingers would never touch a
tool so trifling. Screw that. It's all for one, one for all, and (finally) a single group where people can put, find, and talk about
this stuff, *regardless* of what they're using it for.

</rant>