Re: OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group? (with added bonus question!)

Harvey White

I find that a logic analyzer is still useful.  I use them for bare metal debugging of interfaces.  i.e: what's it really doing? While a good scope is very useful, the logic analyzer has far more channels (and I do need them to look at other events), and a state mode, which can be useful to demystify things like the I2C bus. Yes, there are other devices (very cheap!  10 dollars) that can do that, but they are not data sensitive, and there are times when I need that (what is byte XXX in message sent?)  For me to *really* get an idea of what's going on, I'll need to write my own protocol analyzer.

Since I've been known to mess around with "early" technology, there are times when I need that kind of information.

I'm not sure that I have the sophisticated tools that "modern day, well heeled, working for a company with a big budget" engineers have, so I frequently have to roll my own, with 20 or 30 year old technology that I can afford.

I get ads from Keysight and other tech companies.  I look at the prices, "it is to laugh".....

Having said all that, I'm not going to go search for a 16900 style LA, the 16702B that I was lucky enough to acquire seems to be just fine for me.

Harvey

On 8/1/2020 2:57 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:
I am co-owner to Tektronix-Logic-Analyzers, and it just
never lit. I don't recall there being more than a couple of
pictures to transfer over to groups.io, so it was deemed not
worth the cost. Everything is archived, should there be any
real need to resurrect it.

I tried to give the group to Dennis and tekscopes, but my
co-owner was one of those banned by Mike Dunn in a fit of pique,
and he holds a big grudge, so that ain't happening as long as
Dunn is around...

Besides, Almost nobody is using logic analyzers anymore.

Back in the day, logic design was fairly ad-hoc, in that
engineers put the circuits together and basically used rough
calculations to work out timing and race conditions. This
sort of loose design methodology meant that odd timing
conditions were almost certain to happen, and that made a logic
analyzer necessary.

Today, logic designs are usually done on a computer aided design
system, and logic, timing, and propagation information are all
part of the simulation package, as it is so much easier to
simulate, and get the job done right in the first place, logic
analyzers don't even have a place on the logic engineer's bench
anymore.

As far as using them for repair work, generally, they are way
overkill. A common oscilloscope works adequately well for finding
the odd stuck bit...

Opening the discussion to all brands of logic analyzers is really
a non-starter for me, as they are so very different in their
construction and philosophy. Better to start a new universal logic
analyzer group, so you too can be the proud owner of a moribund
group.

-Chuck Harris

ebrucehunter via groups.io wrote:
About ten years ago I bought a Tek 308 data Analyzer with the intent of using it to troubleshoot problems in EIP 578 counters as a signature analyzer; however, I have never used it.  The 308 I bought seems to be working OK except for an occasional flicker of the CRT.  When I run out of things to do I will dig it out and try and locate the failing cap, or whatever.  Interestingly, service manuals for the later EIP counters do not provide signature information.  A representative I asked about this discontinuation said, "Someone would have to determine this information."  I took this as being it was too much trouble.

There was a logic analyzer group among the old Yahoo groups, but while it appears to have been transferred over to groups.io, https://groups.io/g/Tektronix-Logic-Analyzers/topics it appears the Yahoo files have not been transferred.  While there has been little activity on his would seem to be the most central forum for these Tek analyzers, other than possibly TekWiki.

I will also post this message on the Tektronix Logic Analyzer group.

Bruce, KG6OJI