Re: Just got a 475, nothing showing on display

Michael W. Lynch

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 09:35 AM, David Kuhn wrote:

" Change ALL tantalum caps"

Tantalum? Unless they are shorted and burned, why woiuld you change a
bunch of tantalums? Granted they can put off a firework show when they
blow, but that's fairly rare. I've had more brand news ones pop than old
ones (probable black bar marked on wrong end).
David,

I wholeheartedly agree. This is where my comment about "shotgun" repairs above originated. Just to make the scope operate, it is way too much trouble and expense to just wholesale replace them all. The tantalum caps will generally let you know when they are bad. My practice is to replace obviously burned or discolored dry ones or leaking, burned or discolored cases on the wet ones. Once this is done, then diagnosis on the individual circuits may lead you to other components that have less obvious failures. This method works very well for me.

Best of luck!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR