TDS794D, alleged shorted power supply?

Roy Thistle

I've got this TDS794D in skookum cosmetic shape... that is just daring me to plug it in, and boot it up. Only... the... assumed... "dumpster diver" I got it from claims... "It has a shorted power supply." Further query directed to the dd, did not elucidate significantly.
Fuse has continuity.
Line cord is good, under load.
No toasty smell to it.
I can't see as it has ever been opened (It still has an intact SIMCO, anti-tamper/cal sticker on it... and none of the usual clues a thing has been opened, since SIMCO had it.)
I am kinda chicken to try to power it up... because, I so want it to work... or be an easy fix.
The only explanations... for the "explanation" that it has a shorted power supply...that have crossed my mind... is that that is what SIMCO reported... or documented... if the 794D was indeed sent to them for cal/repair... or even came from them... maybe from an equipment auction?
Another thing that I was thinking it that if the scope boots, at least to error checking, would it report and error indicating a shorted (low?) power supply?
Any suggestions/recommendations, on how to proceed? Any "gotchas" to watch out for?
Anyone got a screen shot of one booting?
The service manual (from the Tektronix Website) has a reasonable service flow chart... so if I dare to plug it in... and it starts to boot... I can work from there. (I don't see anything about error reporting... or explanations/table of error codes.)