From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Seiter
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 7:29 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Ferrite Beads in Tek Transistor Adapters

As a former environmental compliance guy in CA, I can say that it's mind-numbingly inane. Everything is potentially toxic or dangerous- it's just a matter of quantity/frequency (drinking too much water can kill you, you can be crushed by cabbages, anaphylaxis from cat hair, etc) At some point, all the warnings become meaningless, kind of like advertising (which I ignore and remove whenever possible). The nanny state at it's finest, thanks mostly to lawyers...
OTOH, it might be nice if older Tek scopes had warnings about weight (don't try to pick up a 519 if your back has been acting up!) -Dave

On 2020-07-20, at 03:20, Chuck Harris <cfharris@...> wrote:

Everything is known to cause cancer in the state of California....
Makes me glad I don't live there.
They say:

Why is this here?
As of August 2018 the State of California has changed the requirements of the "Prop 65" law. We now must list on our website any possible chemicals the can cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive problem.

As an example:
• ABS plastic contains styrene
• PVC wire insulation can contain Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP)
• electrolytic capacitors can contain Ethylene glycol
• Brass can contain Lead
• flame retardant pc boards can contain Tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA)
• Aluminum alloys can contain Chromium

To put it simply we are a small company and do not have the resources to test every single part, so we list every thing as hazardous. Please recycle all electronic parts responsibly and under no circumstance eat, drink or smoke these parts and wash your hands after touching!

Typical cop-out created by non-thinking regulation.
But I generally agree with the advice not to try smoking ferrite beads.

Grüße, Carsten

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator