From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Ford
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 9:38 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 485 Cordwrap Feet

Funny you should mention those IEC power connectors, Dennis, as I just received a new wired router (opting for security, reliability, and speed for my 3 computers that stay in one place) today, and what do you know, it did not have an IEC connector on it. Instead, the power cable had a
"3 merged circles" (kind of like 3/5 of the Olympics symbol) connector.
Not sure why.

Now, my Tek 5103N/D10 and 7603 scopes have attached power cables, and every other piece of gear (most of it Tek or HP) I own except for the HP 400E AC voltmeter (pre-1970, no doubt) has a detachable cord with an IEC connector on it. No, wait, that's not true. I noticed some time ago that the 3 power supplies I own, an HP 6111A, an Elenco Precision XP-581, and a Trygon TL8-3, all have attached cords. I wonder why that is...

Another oddball is my Tek TLA711 mainframe. While it has an IEC male connector on the back of it, there is an extra rib below the GND pin, so a normal IEC female will not mate with it. Until you chop a groove into it with a utility knife, that is. I don't know why Tek did that. Maybe if you fill up the chassis with a thousand channels worth of logic analysis it draws so much current you need an extra beefy power cable (with a special notched IEC connector) hooked up to a 100 A circuit?

Speaking of extra beefy power cords, I have one I got from Mercury Transformers at the L.A. Guitar Amp Show some years ago. They were giving away these slick, fat, red cables. I'm not going to hook that up to just anything; no, that one is being saved for something special!
Seems like I have dozens of normal ones, though. The ones with the right angle IEC connectors come in handy when using a deep piece of equipment like a 7904 up close to the wall. But they always seem to point the wrong way, as do GPIB connectors. ;)

Rambling again - sorry.

Jim Ford