Re: 485 Cordwrap Feet

Hi Jeff,
It was not unusual for the design engineers at Tek to pay attention to
product details (known as Human Factors Engineering in those days) just like
this one. This was one of the things that distinguished Tek from many other
companies. The 485 was a portable scope which meant things like a power cord
had to have a secure place to be while it was being moved from one place to
another. The logical way to carry the scope was by the handle with the scope
in an upright position so there would need to be feet on the rear of the
scope. Why not kill two birds with one stone and design a foot that would
also secure the power cord?

There are some things that the mechanical engineers at Tek never seem to be
satisfied with and cord wraps are one of them. The cord wrap evolved
constantly. It was almost as if the mechanical engineers saw each new
portable scope as an opportunity to improve on the design of the previous
instrument. My 453 (the 454 and 453 were the original portables Tek designed
to meet the needs of the IBM Field Engineers) had fairly simple rear feet
which the power cord could be wrapped around. I think there was a chance the
power cord could become undone from around the rear feet while travelling
with the 453 scope. By the time the 485 appeared the cord wrap foot was just
about optimal: It holds the power cord securely, and it communicates to the
user, by its unusual shape, what its intended purpose is, without the need
for any further explanation.

In other words its unusual shape tells you what it does. Donald Norman in
his book "The Psychology of Everyday Things" coined the term "affordances"
for the properties of objects which show users the actions they can take.
Users should be able to perceive affordances without having to consider how
to use the items. A simple example we all encounter every day is the handle
on a door leading into or out of a store. The shape of the handle should
communicate to you whether you should push or pull it to open the door.
Instead most of them are so poorly designed that it is necessary to include
a sign saying "Push" or "Pull".

With the advent of the IEC power connector standard in 1970 many instruments
gradually started using power cords that could be unplugged from the
instrument which created a totally different problem of what to do with the
proliferation of these power cords now that they are everywhere. Somehow we
all end up with more of them than we can possibly use.

Dennis Tillman W7pF