Re: Calibrators vs Signal/Function Generators

scm@...

In bringing an SG503 back to life, I observed a significant difference in the positive going amplitudes and the negative going amplitudes at many frequencies. The reason for this is a significant amount of second (and, possibly other even) harmonic content in the output. This difference is not present in my 067-0532-01 (65-500 MHz, based on a GR Unit Oscillator, which generates a much purer sine wave). Since the SG503 leveling circuit regulates the peak-to-peak amplitude of the output, this is of no consequence for calibrating 'scopes since we're interested in the amplitude and not the RMS value.