Re: Calibrators vs Signal/Function Generators

Tom Gardner

One prime use for scopes is to assess signal integrity, i.e. whether a receiver will correctly interpret an analogue voltage as a digital signal.

Prime prerequisites for that are solid triggering and the flatness of the frequency response. The correctness of the phase response is usually assured by the scope's design in conjunction with the correct frequency response.

A scope's time domain accuracy is trivial to measure nowadays. The amplitude accuracy is less important than the flatness.

On 14/07/20 16:58, Stephen wrote:
The time base is IMHO, the most important thing that has to be accurate in a scope. You don’t use it to accurately measure amplitude, you have a DMM for that. So I personally use a TEK 184 to calibrate the time bases of all my scopes. And using the Delayed Time Base method, I can calculate a random frequency from my Function Generator down to about 0.1%, by eye, and sometimes less. That’s good enough for me. When I tried to calibrate a scope with a regular function gen, I was Way off, and by a lot more.