Re: Calibrators vs Signal/Function Generators

Stephen

The time base is IMHO, the most important thing that has to be accurate in a scope. You don’t use it to accurately measure amplitude, you have a DMM for that. So I personally use a TEK 184 to calibrate the time bases of all my scopes. And using the Delayed Time Base method, I can calculate a random frequency from my Function Generator down to about 0.1%, by eye, and sometimes less. That’s good enough for me. When I tried to calibrate a scope with a regular function gen, I was Way off, and by a lot more.
FWIW